Friday, January 4, 2008

Cleaning Up

For those of you who have known me for any length of time, you will laugh to see me writing about how to keep a house clean. My response to you is that if I can keep a house clean, anyone can. I know that it is extremely sad that it took me 37 years to figure out how to clean, but nonetheless, I have learned and I must share my joy.

I've been frustrated for some time that I can never achieve an entirely clean house. I finally realized that that isn't going to happen until my boys go to college. I now just try to prevent buildup.

Every day I try to get each room clean just once. I get the toys and dirty clothes off the floor, put away books and magazines and mail off the dining room table. The rooms do not stay clean, but if I get things picked up once, then we can keep toys generally sorted. Then on my days off I change the beds, sweep the floors, clean the bathroom and call it good. I should note that the kitchen is entirely Kirk's domain.

So, if you stop by, the house may not look perfect, but I know that basic cleaning has been done within a reasonable length of time. And when I do real cleaning, it isn't the huge, overwhelming task that it used to be.

No comments: