Sunday, February 10, 2008

Giving Up Oil For Lent

I'm cutting down on oil for lent. I'm focusing on not ever driving to work and not bringing any extra plastic bags from the store. I read was inspired by these Mennonites in Virginia that went together as a church to reduce their oil usage. I usually don't drive often to work, except when it's icy or actively precipitating. I'm having to be creative, which is OK, but I'm ready for some warm weather.

As for plastic bags, I'm just forgetful. Dillons has some great new reusable bags for 99 cents. They even stand up nice like paper bags.

I know this doesn't sound very religious, but I think it is. I think that if the climate changes significantly people will be hurt and it ain't gonna' be rich people like me. It's going to be the most disadvantaged. I know that my little steps aren't going to change the world, but I also think it's lame to not do anything just because you can't do everything. I think God calls us to do what we can.

No comments: