Saturday, April 19, 2008

All this for a plant?


My latest quest has been for a witch hazel. It is not your typical garden variety plant and, therefore, not available locally. I found a mail-order nursery in New Jersey and the plant plus shipping would be $50. I came very close to making an order, but then remembered an acquaintance who happens to be a horticulture professor and he suggested Arnold's Greenhouse. Only a 4-hour, or so, round-trip drive through the Flint Hills. I'd heard many good comments about this place, but I have yet to make a pilgrimage. A typical reaction being, "Oooh, Arnold's! You have to go there!" or "What?! You haven't been there?!" Not being familiar with Arnold's, I was a bit overwhelmed by the variety of plants available - over 3500. Arnold's doesn't have a regular plant catalog, they have a Plant Wishbook & Garden Guide. Presented with more plants than I remembered from my college days, my list of one quickly became a list of a dozen and my shopping list had to be hacked back to the original One. So, if you're still reading, "why a witch hazel?" you ask. Well, why not? Seeing one is slightly more unlikely than finding a source for one and it blooms earlier than a (currently blooming, but fading) forsythia or daffodils.

I made a short-notice call to several gardening, or otherwise adventurous, friends to make the trip with me. Going to a nursery is not something that Rhonna finds very inspiring - that is, not a nursery that involves plants. At least she's very good natured and indulges my habits when she finds herself in such a place. So she is planning to stay home with the boys while I make my trek. It just so happens that driving to Arnold's means, or could mean, going on of the more scenic roads through the Flint Hills. Not the well-known road, which is also, more-or-less, on the way, but another less-traveled one. (all together now: "And that has made all the difference") Although I will have to turn off at Eskridge, the next stop will make the trip worthwhile even if I don't get to the nursery. I could then eat my pastry in the company of wildlife just a few minutes away.

I will, eventually, get to Arnold's. It just didn't happen today as planned. Apparently I gave too short a notice. Coupled with $3.50/gallon gas, I just couldn't justify going it alone on a half-day road trip. Especially so close to Earth Day! Some things are more important than a witch hazel. I hope to find time in the coming weeks to go so if any of our local readers (and we have sooooo many) are interested, let me know. Happy gardening.

No comments: