Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Selfish Environmentalist

Today a coworker made a comment that made me think. People are often saying that they are "in awe" of our commitment. I get the impression that many people think we live a life of austerity due to our environmental beliefs. I just want to confirm that that is most definitely not the case. Most of the things that make our footprint smaller also make our lives better. I think I would go so far as to say that some of our earth-friendly actions bring great joy into our lives. I enjoy riding my bike to work. I love getting to experience the change of seasons and that I'm more likely to shout out a hello to a neighbor. I enjoy hanging clothes on the line. Joe likes to "help" me so it's something we can do together and I like the smell of fresh air in my clothes. I enjoy having a small house. I like that we always know exactly what the boys are doing because we can hear them so easily. I like that it takes no time to clean my house. I enjoy trying to buy less and share more. We've made wonderful connections with people by giving and receiving kids clothes and biking equipment. And, of course, there is nothing that Kirk enjoys more than growing our own organic vegetables.

I do not live a life of austerity. I live a life of being with my family as much as possible, enjoying the outdoors, and building community. Really, what more can a person ask for than that?

1 comment:

Dean Hargett said...

"Really, what more can a person ask for than that?" -- A second story, slightly thicker walls, and heavier floors.

I am finding out that a teenage boy actually expands to occupy 2 or 3 times his visible physical being.