Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Armchair gardening

I recently finished two books by the late Henry Mitchell: "Essential Earthman" and "On Gardening" He had a weekly column for The Washington Post and expounded on his thoughts of his, and others', gardens. If you're not a gardener it will likely put you to sleep. Well, actually, I read it in bed and while it did help me go to sleep I also found the writing to be quite humorous. Yes, there's humor in gardening, but you have to be willing to accept it. This quote isn't one of the funny ones, but is one worth repeating.

"Your garden will reveal your self. Do not be terrified of that. You have as much right to live as, -- well, at least one may always say, 'nevertheless, here I am.'

"Gardening is not some sort of game by which one proves his superiority over others, nor is it a marketplace for the display of elegant things that others cannot afford. It is, on the contrary, a growing work of creation, endless in its changing elements. It is not a monument or an achievement, but a sort of traveling, a kind of pilgrimage you might say, often a bit grubby and sweaty though true pilgrims do not mind that. A garden is not a picture, but a language, which is of course the major art of life."

Just when I thought I'd have a lawn for the boys to play in, I find out that not only do I have time for a small garden, but Joe wants his own as well! So much for plans.

No comments: