Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Death & Taxes (ok, just taxes)

My fine city is in the process of reviewing next year's budget and, of course, the city staff are proposing an increase in the mill levy. While a lesser increase will probably pass, it got me thinking. The other day a fairly large branch fell from a tree in front of my house. Fortunately, it fell in the street and not on my son who was playing on just the other side of the tree. My neighbors also got off lucky because they often park where the limb fell. So this happened in the late afternoon and in the process of looking online for the phone number so I could call the appropriate city department I saw a form that anyone can use to report tree "issues" directly from the city's website. So I did. Within the next two hours the limbs were cleaned up and then by 9:30 the next morning a city employee was in front of my house preparing his truck so that he could go up in the bucket and remove any other "dangerous" branches. My first thought was "Wow! that was fast!" My second thought was "I certainly don't have a problem with paying my property taxes." Anyone who lives in this town and has ever benefited from or used a city service should be impressed with the quality of the city's staff and administration. I'm not positive of all the entities that are supported by property taxes, but we have a fine library, police & fire departments not to mention the water quality and many pleasant parks. Basically, any resident who lives within the city limits is getting a good deal for the money. The latest figures from the city are that if you paid $739 in taxes for 2007, you'll pay $879 in 2008. Let's break this down. That comes to $2.02 per day this year and, possibly, $2.41 per day next year. That's less than a small decaf latte (at least the one I bought today - and quite good I must say) or about twice as much as a 20-ounce bottle of soda. I don't smoke, but I'm guessing a pack costs more. Think about it. You're getting clean streets, parks, water, a wonderful library, and police/fire departments - sorry if I left out anyone. We all have our vices so let's really put this in perspective before we pass judgment! Lastly, for those of you concerned about property tax increases and the effects on homeowners who live on a fixed income, then if you are truly concerned about increases in property taxes why don't you consider replacing them with an municipal income tax??!

No comments: