Thursday, May 10, 2007

What I'm reading

I'm reading a great book by Bill McKibben called "Deep Economy". Kirk forced me to read it (I hate economics), but I'm loving it. McKibben says that one way to have a huge impact on global warming is for us to make our economies more local - less shipping food, more on-site energy. It makes a lot of sense. We have been buying our milk and beef locally for a while now. We'd like to do more produce and chickens. We found a web site, www.localharvest.org that shows local suppliers for most things. It takes more time to shop, so we'll have to ease into it, but I think in the long run it will be worth it.
Of course, we also need to get Kirk back in the garden and in the kitchen. Once the boys are a little bigger. . . We seem to say that a lot.

No comments: