Friday, June 29, 2007

I'm going to regret this

I'm going out on a limb here, but I can't shut myself up anymore. I have to write about abortion. I know, I am bound to regret this, but the issue just bugs me. We have got to find a way to work together on this issue. I get the impression that pro-lifers think that us pro-choicers think that abortion is great. That is not the case. On the other hand, pro-choicers are in such a defensive stance that we make it seem like abortion isn't a problem. I really wish abortions didn't happen. The whole thing is kind of sad, but it would be more sad have women dying from illegal abortions. What if we worked together to reduce the number of abortions. I read that about 1/2 of all abortions are on women who got pregnant while using birth control. That is a lousy statistic. It seems like that would be a relatively easy place to make improvements. Although I recognize that some that are against abortion are also against birth control. It seems like there have to be other ways. There have got to be studies out there on why women have abortions and there have got to be other ways to help these women not get pregnant, so they don't have to make this choice. Whatever you know about it, I would love to hear it. I just know we have to move away from these polar opposites of "not legal under any circumstances" and "we won't even talk about the negative consequences" or this debate will never end.

No comments: