Friday, August 3, 2007

A change of pace

Having had this book for a couple of years, I'm finally reading Bill McKibben's Wandering Home (thanks Dean) and it's a welcome bit of optimism after reading Buy, Buy Baby and Assault on Reason. Writing about his hike from western Vermont into the Adirondacks of eastern NY, he tells the story in such a way that it almost feels like you were with him. Most days, he is accompanied by a friend who happens to live near his route. He entertains us with the stories of these local folks and the discussions and random thoughts that they have while making their way from town to pond to mountain peak to cabin in the woods.

For now, A Perfect Mess is also on a pile of books to read and I haven't decided whether or not I'll finish Al's book either. I've made it through 2/3 of it and am still only reading about the incompetence of Bush-Cheney and their crusade against any interference to their "mission" - as varied and vague as that may be. I think I'll skip to the end and then send it back to the library so someone else can be Assaulted.

1 comment:

Dean Hargett said...

I just bought a book published in 1941 called, "Education for Death: The making of the Nazi". The administrator of an American school in Berlin, researches the Nazi pedagogy. "Some people say, 'If you have the youth you have the future.' I say, 'If you have the future, you have the youth!'" -Baldur von Schirach.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!