Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Mommy Wars

I keep hearing about the stupid Mommy Wars! Why can't we all just get along? I am constantly annoyed at how us mothers judge each other and I complain about it constantly. And yet I do it, too. When a friend recently told me about her friend's 48 hour natural labor, I asked with a sneer "Was that a positive experience for her?" How rude!!!

I have been a victim of these wars myself. I tried to breastfeed and failed. . . twice. Don't tell me I didn't try hard enough. Unless you sat up with me as my baby nursed continuously from 9 to 5 two nights in a row and still managed to lose weight, I don't want to hear about it. I would get so mad when people would judge my bottles. Have you noticed that some mothers can say "bottle feeder" in such a way that it sounds like "bottom feeder"? We're all just doing the best we can. Let's support each other and cheer each other on. I won't judge you, so please don't judge me.

I think it's all about insecurity. What we do as parents is so important and we're constantly striving to do the best thing for our children. It's this huge, daunting task and the choices are never clear. Almost all the lines are fuzzy. It's easier to justify a decision when judge those who chose differently.

No comments: